Lately Trevor and I have been eating healthy and exercising. We've decided that we need to shed our winter hibernation weight which consisted of months of eating pizza and drinking Dunkin Donuts everyday. Plus, we both had been feeling kinda crappy lately and really had no energy whatsoever. We spent a lot of time on the couch watching Parks and Rec marathons on Netflix and calling ourselves slugs because we loved laying around and hated movement of any kind.
So far we really have stuck with eating healthy and haven't cheated at all! This really is surprising for me especially, because I have trouble being a stickler to a diet plan. I usually cave over nightly ice cream. At first, meaning the first 3-4 days or so, I really was "gun ho" about eating healthy and actually enjoyed eating grilled chicken or salmon every day. By days 5-7 I really was kind of miserable and starving and any time I would even see a Burger King commercial on I would curse at the TV (and I never eat Burger King). After the first week I knew that something had to give because this waffle loving, pizza eating girl couldn't take it anymore.
I came up with a couple modifications to enjoy foods that I love without having to sacrifice my diet plan. One of my favorites? Banana pancakes.
I've actually been making these for a couple years now and have loved them for awhile now. Best part? You only need two ingredients to make them: a banana and an egg.
You mash up a banana with a fork in a bowl, and then add an egg in. Mix the two ingredients together. Some people put them in a blender so it is a smooth texture, but I prefer the banana chunks in mine. I also add a splash of vanilla in and some cinnamon. I think it gives it a "french toast" feel.
Pour the pancake in a pan and cook just like a regular pancake. I've noticed that the more ripe your banana is, the more your pancake will have a runny texture. I like to use a banana that is still sorta green, because the pancake will turn out nice and fluffy that way.
Flip over, then remove from pan. I suppose you could top with butter and syrup, but that will defeat the "healthy" purpose. I always put a tablespoon of peanut butter on top of mine. It doesn't taste the same as a regular pancake, but the taste is amazing non the less. I would even go as far to say that I enjoy these more than regular pancakes.
I also cooked some turkey bacon to have on the side. Turkey bacon is nothing like regular bacon, but I guess i'll have to settle. ;)
Anyone else out these have a fun, healthy recipe idea I haven't heard of? I'm always down to try new ideas to shake up my usual routine. Or maybe someone has another way to spice up this recipe? I put oats in with it once, and I really wasn't a fan.
Try the pancakes out and let me know what you think!


No comments
Post a Comment