Tuesday, November 26, 2013

nursing school

November has been flying past my eyes at rapid speed. I'm not surprised anymore.. i'm used to life just passing very quickly now. Of course, i'm in nursing school and i'm definitely not complaining!

Speaking of nursing school, it has been amazing to me lately. My first year of nursing I didn't know if I really liked it. Actually, I barely put any time into it because I lacked a passion in it. My grades started to slip. Somehow I came out of that first semester passing barely, but I made it. And i'm so glad I did.

The next semester when my clinicals were on the maternity and pediatrics floors, I realized that there are so many options out there for nurses. I absolutely LOVED those floors, more than anything. I enjoyed going to school, my grades picked up, and I finally believed that this was a profession I could see myself working in for the rest of my life.

Well, that semester came and went. Now this time, I am on a monitored floor, a step down from the ICU. What that means is that it is a pretty intense floor, with patients needing more nursing skilled practice and you are very very busy with patient care. I have to say, I never ever thought I would enjoy the ICU, ER, or any intense working environment like that. I thought I liked to play it safe. I always imagined myself working in a small doctor's office or some other boring place like that because the thought of blood and guts made my stomach roll. However, now I know that that isn't the case.

I absolutely love working on this floor. The patients are incredibly sweet, and yes, they do need a lot of care, but that is what makes it interesting and exciting. I am constantly on my feet, practicing new skills, learning new things.

So long story short, next semester (AKA, the last semester before graduation) we enter the ICU. I am so excited. I know that the class right before graduation is said to be "make or break" for your nursing degree. A lot of people fail out right before they are supposed to graduate. But I believe I can do it. I cannot express how excited I am to take on the challenge, both in clinical and in the classroom. I want to work hard and exceed. I want to prove to everyone (especially myself), that I can do it!

I love nursing. Trevor says I get too attached to my patients, but I don't care. Don't you need compassionate nurses out there? Don't you really need people who are there for the patients? There to cry with them, to be happy when they hear good news, to just listen to them? That's the kind of nurse I want to be. 


Studying my notes before the Color Run!


19 school weeks until graduation!

SHARE:

No comments

Blogger Template Created by pipdig