Sunday, March 18, 2018

Finding Joy in Routine


This morning I sat at my kitchen table drinking my coffee and watched the sun rays stream through the windows. It has felt like eternal winter here lately, and we are days away from the first day of Spring. The temps have been hovering in the 20s and 30s and it has been flurrying almost daily. Today, however, the temp finally reached 49 degrees and it felt like a breath of fresh air.

This weekend was very productive. My house is clean, the laundry is done, groceries are shopped for and meals are planned for the week. I was able to get outside today and do some much needed yard work. While in the yard, I spotted some daffodils peeking their heads up. A sure sign that spring is indeed on its way.

For the first time since I graduated college, I finally have a routine in my day to day life. Nursing jobs can be very unpredictable. Days that you work can vary, and so can the hours. You work every other weekend, and every other holiday. However, the job I have now is Monday-Friday, 6:45am-3:15pm. Currently i'm not working weekends, but once I'm off orientation, I will only have to work roughly about one weekend a month which isn't bad at all.

I have to say that I truly am enjoying having a routine back in my life! I've found that i'm more productive, healthier, and have much more energy now that my hours are consistent. I also look forward to my weekends when I can clean the house, get groceries, and plan for the week ahead.

My schedule is also allowing me to accomplish some of my goals that I set for this year. I've been reading a lot more and journaling. I've been taking the time for self care: exercising, drinking green tea, taking baths, and focusing on myself. It truly feels amazing.

As summer draws near, I can't wait to spend my free time outside. I'm planning on starting a small garden this year, and I can't wait to work on my landscaping and my flower beds.

I can't tell if i'm finding more joy in the simple things because i'm getting older, or if I am just discovering what makes me happiest. Either way, I'm loving this time in my life.

SHARE:

No comments

Blogger Template Created by pipdig