At the beginning of the last school year my mom became the high school yearbook advisor. Along with being the advisor came a really, really cool Canon camera. I had never even held one of those babies before let alone used one. I really wasn't interested. It just seemed way too complicated to even get into. I was perfectly content with my Kodak point and shoot.
About a year ago I really got into blogging. I would spend hours of my time in between classes at the University computer lab reading blogs. The first blog I really found was 71toes (which I wrote about back here). I literally sat down and once I started reading the blog, I couldn't stop. I spent days reading Shawni's posts until I finally reached the beginning of when she started the blog (yes, I read her posts in reverse chronological order). It was like reading a book, only a lot cooler because the characters actually exist and the story never ends. But Shawni loves to take photos of everything and I really think that her passion for photography really lit a fire in me to love photography as well.
I started messing around with the Canon. I started learning a little about shutter speed and aperture and all of that jazz. And so, it began. I ended up recently buying my own DSLR camera and it is my baby. I treat it like gold. I take it everywhere. I get constant eye rolls from Matt when he sees me pull it out.
However, have any of you seen/heard this quote from Family Guy?
Mariah and I quote this all. the. time. It is hilarious! I am a huge Family Guy fan. But it is totally true! How many times have you seen a girl post a "photography" album on Facebook? It happens all of the time. And it bugs me to no end, because just like Stewie says, "Every hot girl who can aim a camera thinks she's a photographer."
There is nothing I cannot stand more than someone who buys a fancy camera and then tries to make money off their work when clearly all they are doing is putting their camera on "auto" mode and shooting. UGH. And then the pictures come and there are shadows on the clients faces because they were not posed right and I just cannot. If you are going to actually pursue photography, please please PLEASE actually learn how to use your camera.
Now, I do not claim in any way to be a photographer. I do not have an album dedicated to my "photography". But I do love taking pictures. I just appreciate photography and appreciate a good photo. Taking pictures is more of a personal hobby to me than a career, etc.
I love blogging, and I love all of you bloggers out there. We, as bloggers, appreciate good photography when it comes around. You guys are all awesome.
This post was just a little rant because I DO NOT want to be labeled as some "girl with a camera who thinks she's a photographer" because I don't. And I never claim to be. But I love and appreciate photography so much.

No comments
Post a Comment