Wednesday, April 18, 2012

when social media fails

via
Social media is really making me sad lately. I feel as if my life is becoming more and more consumed with staying "updated" on everyone's business. Especially with Instagram, I now know exactly what everyone has consumed for each meal, what color their fingernails are painted, and what clothes they are trying on at stores. Bad thing is, I'm sucked into this black hole. I think really everyone is. And if you do not own a Facebook or have deactivated yours, I envy your willpower to do so.

Don't get me wrong, I love staying updated on my close friends and family, and of course I love all of the lovely blogger ladies :) But... I've been really thinking about deleting my Facebook. I am constantly on it, and I don't even know why. I feel as if I'm being drug down by the negative comments that are being said.

Here are some prime examples. (Pictures and names have been blurred)

^lovely.

^This one makes me so angry. Because I wear yoga pants! And mine are NOT skin tight, and I don't look like a whore. The person who posted this is actually a good friend of mine, but I was definitely not happy when I read that.
^This was posted right after Joe Pa, Penn State's legendary football coach had died. I have a soft spot in my heart for Penn State and for Joe Pa, and this one just hurt. Like, why would you even post this? It just makes me so angry and sad at the same time. Death should never be joked about or taken lightly.
^Someone posted this directly after my best friends Emily and Matt got engaged. I mean, I know this isn't a terribly negative status, but it is still bringing down people. Like come on, we're in our 20's now, this stuff like marriage and kids is bound to happen.



Twitter is the same way. Only worse. I think people feel more free to express their true feelings on there.

Here is a prime example of the stuff that I see all the time:
I mean, it is CONSTANT posts and updates like this. Why? Why are we always bringing each other down? I was always taught that if you don't have anything nice to say, then you didn't say anything at all.

My good friend Jesse once said something that really made me laugh, but was totally true. He said,
"Yeah I deleted my Facebook and Twitter for like a day. But then I realized that I had no way to get the latest news."
He is so funny. You really have to know his personality to just laugh, he is a hoot. But it is so true. I think that our society is so "addicted" as you will to social media, I think that if we were disconnected from it, we seriously would have withdrawals. I know I would. I would probably be twitching. Well, maybe not that much. But I really would feel like I was missing out on something.

I'm really not sure what I should do. Should I delete my Facebook but keep my other social media accounts? Should I just narrow my friends down on Facebook to only the people I really talk to? Or should I just quit cold turkey and delete all social media and be done with it?

I could never delete my blog. This is the place where I vent. This is where I express my creativity. I love blogging so much.
Everything else? Not so much.



SHARE:

2 comments

Michelle said...

Oh girl, I want to hug you and high five you all at the same time!

Ready for a novel? I had the EXACT issues with facebook. Mostly, all girls in their 20s moaning and groaning (like the status you posted) about people getting married/having babies. We all just graduated from college, it's bound to happen! That particular one drives me NUTS. And also so many mean people. I've just had it. Over the last year I defriended people I had no contact with anymore, and that really helped. I deactivated here and there but missed it and went back every time. I found myself getting on there so much for no reason, just out of boredom and concern that I would miss something "important." On Easter I was talking to my family about it and got so frustrated I deactivated my account. I thought I would miss it, but I haven't looked back. Now I'm just mad I didn't do it sooner. It's so much better to go live your life then to watch others live theirs! Since doing that, I've found I rarely get on Pinterest or Twitter now.I'm gradually unplugging myself and spending that time working out or reading or cooking. Blogging is different :) It's an outlet and I love to write and meet people through words. Try deactivating for a week or two and see how it goes. It might be hard at first, but you'll find that you're not missing out on anything. The important people in your life know other ways to reach you!

Ok, sorry that was so long! I'm passionate about this :)Just know I'm right there with you on social media!

p.V.e said...

UGH! I feel the SAME! Facebook and Twitter have been getting on my nerves SO bad recently! I don't get why people need to post statuses hurting others?

I don't think I'd be able to delete mine but I give you major credit if you can do it and last!

Blogger Template Created by pipdig