Tuesday, October 11, 2016

Colorado Springs trip: Part 1

Hey guys!

So, for my birthday, Trevor and I wanted to get away from Deming a little bit. We both had 4 days off and were itching for something to do. We had tossed the ideas of Colorado, Albuquerque, and Santa Fe in the air. We finally decided on Colorado Springs. I had visited the Springs 6 years ago on a youth trip for church and instantly fell in love. I was itching to go back there. So we booked some reservations and were off!

Saturday night into Sunday Trevor had to work. As soon as he got home from work we left. I drove the whole way so he could sleep. It was an 8-9 hour car ride, but it was the most beautiful trip we've taken so far. To get to Colorado from here, you literally just hop on I-25 which is about 45 minutes away and take that the entire way to Colorado. It is literally a straight shot. We drove through the New Mexico desert, which in my opinion I can't get enough of. It is so different than the Pennsylvania mountains that we are used to, that I just think it is so beautiful. You can see for miles and miles on end.

We stopped right outside Albuquerque for some lunch and stumbled upon this cute restaurant with live music. We had some baked lobster mac and cheese!

Back on the road again. Northern New Mexico starts changing into the rocky terrain that leads into Colorado. You start seeing those beautiful pine trees everywhere.

Finally, after what seemed like forever of New Mexico, we crossed over the Colorado border. We didn't see the Rocky Mountains until right before we got to Colorado Springs. Finally, we made it!

Colorado Springs was just as I remembered, but even better. In New Mexico, it is still hot, like 80's every single day and we are still wearing shorts. Colorado was like a breath of fresh air. It was in the 60s-70s and the leaves were changing. You could literally smell fall in the air. I was sort of sad that we would be missing fall in Pennsylvania, but it was nice that we got a little taste of fall with this trip.


We checked into our AirBnB and it was heaven. For those of you that have never used AirBnB before or heard of it, it is a website you go on and you literally can rent out someone's home for a couple days at a cheap rate. The place we were staying in was the basement of a couple's house that was completely redone. It had a kitchen, two bedrooms, two bath, and a huge living room. It was so nice and we felt at home there. We sat down on the couch and turned on the TV, two things we haven't been able to do since we left PA at the beginning of August ;)

That night, we were both exhausted from driving that we decided to pick up some pizza and beers and just relax at the apartment. We watched the Steeler game and both ended up passing out early!

Come back tomorrow to read about our second day in Colorado Springs and our 7 mile hike!

Hilary
SHARE:

No comments

Blogger Template Created by pipdig