Saturday, November 18, 2017
I've Changed.
A week or two ago, this quote popped up on my Pinterest feed and it immediately struck me. It was so true. I read it, and reread it, and then thought about all of the experiences I've had not only traveling, but actually living in various places with different cultures and beliefs. I have changed. I am not the same person I was before traveling. My perspectives on so many different issues have changed, and the way I see life is little different as well.
My perspective on different aspects of life has changed. First off, I encourage every single person to leave home at least once. You will be glad you did. Move to a city or to a place that is completely different from where you grew up. I grew up in a small, rural town in Pennsylvania and went to college only an hour away from home. Most of the community consisted of white, middle class Americans and there barely was any diversity at all. It is important to expand your horizons and get out of your comfort zone. Meet people who are very unlike the people you've grown up around your entire life.
For the first time in my life while I was living in New Mexico, I was the minority. I am a caucasian female with no hispanic background. Here I was, surrounded by people who almost all, if not all had some Hispanic/Spanish nationality in them. Being in healthcare, I quickly learned their beliefs and what was important to them. There was an obvious language barrier between me and those who spoke no English whatsoever, so communication was limited. At the end of the day, you learn that even though you can barely communicate with these people because they speak a different language, they are just like you. They care about the same things you do, shop at the same groceries stores you do, drink the same coffee you do, and care about their friends and family just like you do. Finally, let me just say that everyone there was so nice. Every single person I passed in the halls in the morning would look directly at me and say "Good Morning" (or "Buenos Días"). It was a noticeable difference from Pennsylvania.
In Washington D.C., I worked with so many different nationalities. DC really is one of the most culturally diverse cities in the United States. My coworkers came from all different countries and backgrounds. You quickly learn what people believe in. It may be different from what you believe, but it doesn't make either of you wrong. The things I believed in or the things I thought to be the absolute truth were challenged, and a lot of times my perspective changed when I saw it from a different viewpoint.
Change occurs outside of your comfort zone. I was definitely thrown out of my comfort zone and had to learn to adapt to new places, climates, time zones, you name it. The only way to truly change is to go into a situation with an open mind and consider views of others. Live how they live.
I have a new found respect for my home, and my home hospital. Sometimes when you are used to something, you take it for granted. Sometimes it takes leaving to really make you realize that what you had in the beginning was pretty darn great. After living out of a suitcase for over a year, I truly appreciate my house and having everything in one place. I am such a homebody now and never want to leave it. Also after seeing other hospital systems, I really see how great my home hospital is. I love UPMC Altoona and I am so proud of the innovative care we provide to our community. Everyone is so friendly and knows your name, and I am excited to be back and part of the team. Finally, I love this community. I hope to take the skills I've learned around the country along with my new perspective and apply it to the care I provide to my patients here in Pennsylvania.
I went away so I could come back. I see the place I came from with new eyes and extra colors. And the people see me differently too. Coming back to where I started is not the same as never leaving.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
©
the "B" team | All rights reserved.
No comments
Post a Comment