The reason why I do travel nursing: to explore new places, see new things, try new food, etc! (and also if I can pay debt off while also doing this it is a win-win.)
So when we found out our jobs were ending abruptly in Massachusetts, I scrambled to assemble as much of a New England road trip as we could possibly fit into our 3-day weekend. It was hard to narrow it down to only 3 places, because I had a million on my list that I wanted to see. For my birthday on Friday, I decided that I wanted to go into Boston and do the touristy stuff, walk around the city, explore, and then go to a Red Sox game.
We woke up early Friday morning and I awoke to gorgeous flowers, a half inflated balloon (lol), and a beautiful card that Trevor wrote in (which is honestly my favorite thing he gives to me every birthday. It's so heartfelt and I love it).
We woke up early Friday morning and I awoke to gorgeous flowers, a half inflated balloon (lol), and a beautiful card that Trevor wrote in (which is honestly my favorite thing he gives to me every birthday. It's so heartfelt and I love it).
We left our apartment and went into the train station in Worcester which was a bust. Unlike the trains in Washington D.C. that run every 15 minutes, these trains ran every 3 hours. So the next train wasn't leaving for hours, we were at the station with a bunch of homeless people roaming around trying to talk to us (Worcester is great, you guys.), and we decided just to leave there and find another way to Boston. We ended up going back to our apartment and taking an Uber into the city.
We finally made it into Boston and met our tour guide in the Boston Common for the Freedom Trail tour. Fun fact: The Boston Common was the first public park in America and they also used to publicly hang people there. Yep.
The Freedom Trail was actually pretty cool. We saw the old and new State House, the Granary Burying Ground where Benjamin Franklin's parents, Sam Adams, Paul Revere, and John Hancock are buried, and the site of the Boston Massacre. It was very interesting to learn and see the history of our country.
After the Freedom Trail we wandered around a bit until we came across this tiny pub where we decided to eat. We had oysters, and then I had lobster mac and cheese and Trevor got a lobster roll. We finished the meal with a Boston Cream Pie. I don't think you could get more Boston than that ;-)
After dinner, we wandered around Boston a little more and then decided to attempt to take the subway to get to Fenway Park. The Boston subway system is so much more complicated than the D.C. Metro! There were so many different tracks that we got on the wrong train and ended up about a mile away from Fenway Park. We attempted to walk but got even MORE lost, so we gave up and called an Uber. Not to worry, we eventually made it to Fenway!
The game was a lot of fun even though it was a cold night that night. Every single seat in that ballpark was filled it seemed like, and those Boston Red Sox fans are crazy! Everyone was standing up dancing and cheering and having a blast. It was actually a stark difference from when we went to see the Pittsburgh Pirates play. The Red Sox played the Astros that night and lost. I remember thinking "Who are the Astros?" and now it is funny to see that they actually are the team that won the World Series this year!
It was a great 26th birthday!
The Freedom Trail was actually pretty cool. We saw the old and new State House, the Granary Burying Ground where Benjamin Franklin's parents, Sam Adams, Paul Revere, and John Hancock are buried, and the site of the Boston Massacre. It was very interesting to learn and see the history of our country.
After the Freedom Trail we wandered around a bit until we came across this tiny pub where we decided to eat. We had oysters, and then I had lobster mac and cheese and Trevor got a lobster roll. We finished the meal with a Boston Cream Pie. I don't think you could get more Boston than that ;-)
After dinner, we wandered around Boston a little more and then decided to attempt to take the subway to get to Fenway Park. The Boston subway system is so much more complicated than the D.C. Metro! There were so many different tracks that we got on the wrong train and ended up about a mile away from Fenway Park. We attempted to walk but got even MORE lost, so we gave up and called an Uber. Not to worry, we eventually made it to Fenway!
The game was a lot of fun even though it was a cold night that night. Every single seat in that ballpark was filled it seemed like, and those Boston Red Sox fans are crazy! Everyone was standing up dancing and cheering and having a blast. It was actually a stark difference from when we went to see the Pittsburgh Pirates play. The Red Sox played the Astros that night and lost. I remember thinking "Who are the Astros?" and now it is funny to see that they actually are the team that won the World Series this year!
It was a great 26th birthday!
No comments
Post a Comment