Monday, January 29, 2018

Mainly went to Maine for the lobster


Today I'm writing about our trip to Maine back in September. I've been trying to write this post for months now, but every time I start, I struggled to find the words to adequately describe how our trip went. You will see what I mean by the end of this post.

---------------------

To finish out our mini New England road trip back in September/October, our last day we drove to Bar Harbor, Maine and explored Acadia National Park. It kind of feels like you are in a different world up there. Bar Harbor/Acadia is super far northeast, and kind of is composed of several islands. Bar Harbor is exactly what you picture when you think of stereotypical Maine: Lighthouses, rugged coastlines, sailboats at sea, fresh lobster advertised everywhere. It was absolutely beautiful.

We checked into our motel in Bar Harbor and then set out to drive the loop through Acadia while stopping at various points along the way. Trevor and I really enjoyed the park. It truly was beautiful, and we would love to return in the future to spend even more time hiking and exploring the area.


We went to the top of Cadillac Mountain right at sunset. It was freezing, but gorgeous. Cadillac Mountain is the first place in the United States to see the sunrise and the sunset, so we felt honored to spend an evening being the first people in the country watching the sun descend to conclude another day.


After the sunset, we drove into town in search of one thing: LOBSTER! We were in Bar Harbor during the off season, so we were able to pick pretty much any restaurant we wanted and skip the wait. We found a place that seemed promising and we were able to order lobster dinners that included an appetizer, side dish, and a whole lobster only for $24! It was heavenly.


After dinner, we were exhausted from the last few days of traveling so we headed back to our motel early. Plus, I'm pretty sure the sun set at like 5pm that evening, so we were content to just lay in our comfy bed, watch football, and relax.

Trevor and I were laying in bed, about to go to sleep, when I saw a quick news update on my phone that said something about a shooting in Las Vegas where a couple people were injured. I told Trevor about it, and then we went to bed.

I remember waking up the next morning around 6:00am to a flood of news articles about the mass shooting in Las Vegas. I watched videos of people at the scene running for their lives, read multiple news reports, and just laid there and cried in silence while Trevor slept beside me. I'll never forget the feeling I had in that motel in Maine while I processed that news. I'm sure everyone in this country felt the same way I did.

Trevor and I had a 5-6 hour drive home from Maine back to Massachusetts that morning and we spent most of it in silence listening to news stations on our Sirius XM radio. The mass shooting that happened kind of tarnished the entire Maine trip for me now, because when I look back on it, the feeling I felt that last morning is all I remember.

All I can say is, you will never forget where you were when you learn devastating news like that. I'm definitely going to remember that trip forever.
SHARE:

No comments

Blogger Template Created by pipdig