For the shelves, I searched high and low for pre-made shelves to install. I wanted a reclaimed wood look, and guys, you wouldn't believe how hard that is to find. Everything I found was either A. Not what I was looking for B. Wasn't the right size requirements for the shelves I wanted, or C. Was custom made and crazy expensive.
Most of the premade shelves were on the smaller size or didn't hold very much weight. I needed my shelves to be at least 11inches in depth because I'm planning on putting some of my pots and pans up there. Also, that meant that I also needed shelves that could hold some serious weight.
Finally I decided that in order to get exactly what I wanted, I would have to make it myself. This would both save me money and get the look I wanted as well. Trevor and I went to Lowes and picked out a couple pieces of pine. We had it cut down to the specific measurements needed. I bought some of these shelve brackets:
![]() |
| found at Lowes |
We brought the wood home and I immediately started staining it. There's something therapeutic about staining wood, at least to me. I love the way the stain enhances the grain, which is something that is hidden when it's painted. Also, the smell of wood stain reminds me of when my Grandpap built our house when I was little.
Also, that is how I applied my stain, with one of Trevor's socks. I put a sandwich bag over my hand and then put the sock over that to avoid staining my fingers. Not fancy, but it works ;-) I used Minwax Wood Stain in Provincial, and I applied two coats.
Finally last night we took down the cabinets.
We found old water damage behind there and damaged drywall. And also a TON of mouse poop on top of the cabinets. Gag.
But now I finally get to start the backsplash!

No comments
Post a Comment