I'm pregnant! And I can't even believe it, but i'm only two weeks away from the second trimester. It was so hard keeping this surprise a secret for so long since i've known about it since WEEK 3 (yep, basically the moment that zygote implanted into my uterus I knew), and i'm so glad I can now talk freely about it!
Trev and I weren't planning on having kids for awhile. Well, in reality, I've had baby fever like crazy, but he always wanted to wait until later on in our lives, like a little closer to age 30. I guess it's true when they say that babies are on their own schedule ;-) And I guess I can say that we had a little too much fun in Ireland because that's where this little babe of ours was conceived. Ireland will always hold such a special place in my heart from now on. (sorry if that is TMI, but our trip was so wonderful and it makes me so happy to see that we took a little souvenir home <3 )
I'm so glad that i'm almost out of the first trimester because it has been so draining. I've had every single pregnancy symptom that you can imagine, from waves of nausea to unbelievable exhaustion, mood swings, crying at the drop of a hat, heartburn, indigestion, etc. I actually haven't felt like myself at all. I am normally someone who eats pretty healthy and since i've been pregnant, anything healthy has been absolutely appalling to me. The thought of grilled chicken or steamed veggies makes me want to yak, so i've been eating nothing but carbs basically. And the carbs are intensifying the super bloated, sluggishness i've been feeling.
I also can't stay awake at all. I take a nap every day and go to bed by 8:30pm. When I come home from work, I barely have any energy at all to make dinner or do anything besides melt into the couch. This has been pretty difficult for Trevor and I because he just had back surgery and he can't bend or lift anything heavy, and I've been so tired. We've been leaning on Trev's parents a lot for help and they truly have been amazing. John has been mowing our grass, changing the cat litter (since I can't), taking out the trash, etc and it really has been a godsend.
I've been trying to keep my pregnancy a secret at work but it's been almost impossible because I am around hazardous substances/situations that can cause fetal defects, such as radiation and cement used in total joint cases. Because of that, I had to tell my manager immediately. Also, people started getting suspicious when I wasn't in the usual rooms that I used to be in... plus I had a couple episodes of almost passing out while I was scrubbed in an operation. So slowly people started putting the pieces together.
I'm so glad to be entering the second trimester because i'm hoping that I will start feeling normal again and back to myself, besides the growing belly. I can't wait to have more energy, start exercising again, and truly enjoying pregnancy!
Anyways, I thought i'd start trying to do monthly pregnancy updates to keep track of baby's growth, how i'm feeling, and how Trevor and I are preparing to be first time parents. I'm going to try to answer the same questions below each month!
My Pregnancy: Months 1-3
How pregnant am I?: Currently I'm 12 weeks pregnant.
How big is baby?: Baby is currently the size of a lime! It's so true that babies grow like weeds. I had my first ultrasound at 7 weeks and the baby then only had little nubs for arms and legs. When I saw the baby on an ultrasound just 2 weeks later, it was crazy how different he/she looked! Arms, legs, fingers and toes were present and the baby was jumping around in my belly like a little jumping bean.
Weight gain: Only 3 pounds so far.
Body & Changes: For the longest time, I didn't look pregnant at all. My stomach has always been pretty flat. However, about like.. 5ish days ago I noticed that my belly really started to pop out, especially after I eat. I have the tiniest bump right now and I can't wait to watch it grow! Also like I said above, I've been experiencing all of the pregnancy symptoms. Super tired, nausea that comes and goes, heartburn like CRAZY, mood swings, etc.
Clothes: Still wearing all of my same clothes, but I have a feeling that won't be the case for long. I already have maternity jeans waiting for me in my closet and I have a feeling that once I put them on, they will be on to stay until April.
What I've been eating: Whatever doesn't make me nauseous! I've had some serious food aversions to any type of meat or vegetable. It seems that the only food that satisfies my stomach are carbs. I just try to survive throughout the day without getting sick. We constantly have ginger ale in our fridge which has been my best friend. Craving wise, I can't get enough milk. Trevor and I go through 3-4 gallons of milk a week just the two of us! I've read that milk is actually the most common pregnancy craving due to mommas needing calcium. Other than milk, i've had a couple cravings for pickles and sauerkraut.
Sweets have also been an aversion for me, which is funny because normally I'm someone who can't pass on dessert or a milkshake. Right now, I want nothing to do with anything sweet. The old wives tale says if you are craving sour stuff, it's a boy and if you are craving sweets, it's a girl! We will have to see if that's true.
Any movement: Haha, no, obviously, but I can't wait until I feel baby's little movements.
Sleep: Can't. Get. Enough. Naps are my jam right now.
Emotions: Up and down like a rollercoaster! I'll find myself tearing up about the littlest things. There's a commercial on TV right now that shows a dad taking care of a newborn baby girl. The girl grows up, and he is always there to comfort her when she cries. Then in the end it shows him dancing with her at her wedding and he is bawling like a little baby. That commercial gets me EVERY TIME, to the point where i'm sobbing. Actually, if it comes on TV now Trevor changes it because it is that bad.
Purchases: The only baby thing i've bought so far was a onesie for Trevor that says "Dad's future golfing buddy". I couldn't help but buy that as soon as we found out I was pregnant. Other than that, i've been waiting until we passed the 12 week mark to buy anything just to be safe. I can't wait to find out the gender so we can start doing the nursery and buying cute baby clothes! I did recently buy some maternity clothes for me though.
What I miss: Beer. and sushi. Although my doctor did give me the green light to go ahead on the sushi and I ate some for my birthday, i've still been restricting how much I eat it.
What I'm looking forward to: Actually looking pregnant, and feeling baby Beiswenger's movements!
Best moment of the week: Being able to finally announce our news. It's been hard to keep it a secret!
No comments
Post a Comment