Tuesday, October 16, 2018

Ireland: Dublin & the Guinness Brewery

Our last day in Ireland was a fun one. We woke up in Galway and went back to the same place we ate breakfast at the day before for another round of coffee and scones. Yum!
I seriously need to learn how to make those bad boys.

We packed up our stuff, said goodbye to our lovely airbnb and Galway and headed back towards Dublin. This time instead of leisurely taking our time driving across the country, we hopped on the highway that way we could get there and enjoy Dublin as much as possible.

We got to Dublin and thankfully we were able to navigate the city traffic pretty seamlessly. Our next airbnb was super easy to find and our host was friendly. He met us at the gate and gave us the keys, but that was the only time we saw him as we were renting a place to ourselves again. We were able to park our car in a secure parking garage and the complex was really safe. Outside of our balcony we had a view of a river with swans swimming.

For lunch we walked across the street to a cute Irish pub. We got Guinness's, of course. Because when you are in Dublin you have to drink nothing but Guinness.
I have to say that in the States, I'm not a huge Guinness fan. It tastes very bitter to me and I have a hard time drinking it. However, in Dublin it went down like milk. It was so good and it's true, it does taste better over there!

After lunch we went back to our airbnb and took a short nap before heading to the Guinness brewery that evening. It was within walking distance of our apartment. We enjoyed walking the streets of Dublin and taking in the Irish culture.

The tour was pretty cool! We learned about the history of Guinness and what they use to make it so dark. The best part was at the end of the tour you got to go to a skytop bar and drink free Guinness while taking in the views of the city. We had a blast!

After the Brewery we hopped in an Uber and went downtown to find some food. We ended up walking through Temple Bar (a Dublin staple!) and ended up at one of the Temple Bar Restaurants for some food. It was pretty good.

After we ate we enjoyed walking around the streets of downtown Dublin. Everyone there seemed super friendly and the energy was electric. I can't imagine what it's like there on St. Patty's day.

We hopped in another Uber and headed back to our apartment. I remember thinking about how I was sad that our time in Europe was coming to an end, but I was actually excited to come back to the States. You really take for granted the comforts of familiarity until you leave your home country where things aren't so familiar.

We woke up early the next morning and headed back to the airport. We returned our rental car that we somehow left unscathed, and ate breakfast while waiting to head through customs. Our flight back to the States was 8hrs and it felt good to be back home.

Our trip overall was such a great time and one that I'll always remember. We already have a list of more places we want to someday visit and I can't wait to make more memories with Trev!
SHARE:

No comments

Blogger Template Created by pipdig