Monday, May 23, 2011

Gone too soon.

Over the past few days, I haven't been able to stop thinking about this.

In 9th grade, a boy named Matt moved to our school to play football. He seemed to fit right in with the crowd, always making everyone laugh and being the life of the party. Even though sometimes individually we might not have always got along with him, he seemed to fit in right along with the rest of our class.

Matt is now dating my best friend Emily, and because of this, I met his mother and his sister Holly, a couple of times. Instantly when I met his mother, Glovia, I knew she was one of the nicest people I have ever met. She would go above and beyond to be there at every football game to cheer on Matt, and every other event he was in. She was incredibly kind.

Around the beginning of March, I learned that Glovia was diagnosed with pancreatic cancer. It didn't make sense because she always lead a healthy lifestyle, she was a small woman, and didn't smoke. Unfortunately, it was caught in one of the last stages. The cancer had then spread to her liver and other organs in her body. She was told that she would only have a short amount of time left to live.

Even though her whole family was deeply saddened by this news, Glovia didn't believe it. Her daughter, Holly, was pregnant with her first child, and Glovia told everyone, "I'm not leaving anytime soon, I have a lot to stick around for."

Glovia started Chemo treatments to slow down the spreading of the cancer. I was told that she slept a lot and couldn't eat certain foods. Then, this past Saturday, a local church held a "Breakfast Benefit" for her to raise money to help her fight the cancer. I went with Tara, and we were amazed at the turnout. The parking lot was completely filled and you could literally just feel yourself being surrounded by the love the community had for this family.

That night of the benefit at 6:30pm, Glovia passed away. She was only 46. It then hit me, how can someone so young, so kind, and so full of life just have her life taken from her so easily? Holly is pregnant and Matt just finished his first year of college. I just don't get it. My heart goes out for this family, I have been praying for them for a long time now. I'm just so saddened by this. Even though I didn't know her very well, I did know that she was a sweet and caring person who would have given anything for her family.

Even though life sometimes isn't fair, I know God has a plan for everything. My heart goes out to this family.
SHARE:

No comments

Blogger Template Created by pipdig