Hi! I wrote this post a week ago, as soon as we made it to New Mexico. I'm just now posting it because I am utilizing McDonald's free wi-fi here in town.. we still don't have internet!
Hellloooo. Coming at 'cha mountain time
in New Mexico! After 4 long days of driving, we finally made it.
After being here for a day, we found a house to rent. Unfortunately,
we are running super low on funds right now so we can't afford
internet yet. YAY for both using up all my data on my phone, and my
sanity. All we have been eating is sandwiches and ramen noodles to
get by, haha. I think my body may hate my by the end of the week
because I never eat this kind of stuff.
About the house, it has 3 bedrooms, a
washer and dryer (thank you Jesus), and a fenced in yard for Timber!
It is so nice to just open the door and let him out, especially after
staying with him in hotels/motels for 4 nights. Our landlord is so
nice, he understands our low funds so he is letting us pay our
security deposit next month once we get money. Also, we mentioned the
fact that we have no furniture at all, and he is letting us borrow a
spare bed he had! The bed still had plastic on it and everything so
it was never used, an extra bonus. It's only a full though, so Trevor
and I are forced back to sleeping basically on top of each other.
It's really making me miss our king sized bed at home.
I can't get over how nice everyone has
been here in this small town. It is a high poverty, low SES area, and
I was actually kind of scared to see what we would be facing. But the
people here couldn't be nicer. There's always people out walking
around and at the parks with their families. Our apartment is on a
nice block where when we were moving in, the neighbors across the
street came over and greeted us instantly. It really makes us feel
comforted and more at home. Plus there is a gym literally right down
the block, so when Trevor and I have money, we will definitely be
hitting that up.
The heat here is insane. People say
that it is a “dry heat”, but my skin still feels like it is
burning off when I walk outside. It has been around 100 degrees every
day so far. Trevor and I are literally wearing tank tops and sitting
inside in the cool all day, but when we look out our windows, we see
people walking home from school in jeans, carrying sweatshirts,
acting like it is no big deal. Maybe we are just wimpy from living in
Pennsylvania, but Trevor and I are definitely looking forward to
cooler weather in September and October (and cooler meaning 70's and
80's). We are desperate to find some kind of swimming pool or lake
around here.
The area is so flat that we can see
the most intense thunder storms far off in the distance. We always
think that the storm is going to hit us, but usually they are so far
away that they end up going around us. It's awesome watching the
lightning hit down on the mountains. Also, every night so far there
has been spectacular sunsets every night. I'm really digging you, New
Mexico.
I've been looking up things to do for cheap around here (dang you, low funds) and I've found several hikes that look beautiful that Trevor and I are going to try either early in the morning, or late in the evening, because we will probably die in the heat otherwise. I'm excited to explore! Because we are now 2 hours behind Eastern Time, I've been waking up at 6:30am every morning and going to bed at about 10pm.. my body is still adjusting. It's going to be tough working night shift my first couple shifts.
According to the lady at the city
municipal building, there is going to be a green chile festival in
town here soon where all the local restaurants make green chile and
you go around and taste test what you think is best. There's also a
hot air balloon festival in Albuquerque in October that we may go to.
I have so many ideas in my head of places to explore and see!
Over and out!
Hilary
No comments
Post a Comment